Fish oil could very well be the most important supplement you ever take. A study published four years ago showed that, if the U.S. government distributed 3 grams of fish oil to our citizens every day, within 1 year there would be a 50% reduction in cancer and heart disease. If that isn't enough for us to give fish oil consideration then maybe we need to re-evaluate what's important to us. What fish oil gives us is DHA (Docosahexaenoic acid), an omega 3 fatty acid essential for the development of our brain, nervous system, and visual abilities, and EPA (Eicosapentaenoic acid) another fatty acid.
However for most of us hardcore training folks, we're thinking "yeah, yeah, but how does that make me a better athlete, help me lose fat, or give me bigger 'guns'". Well... let's just list a few of the other things fish oil does:
1. Turns on lipolytic genes which burn fat
2. Turns off the lipogenic genes which store fat
3. Increase utilization of fat stores from adipocytes
4. REDUCED INFLAMMATION from physical training
5. EPA regulates blood supply to the brain which helps maintain focus
6. Increases serotonin levels (what makes you happy)
7. Decrease blood pressure
8. Helps fight off stress
9. Keeps cell membranes healthy to maintain large numbers of insulin receptors to help circulate insulin resulting in decreased fat storage.
These are just a few of the many great things fish oil can do for us. On top of that, fish oil is inexpensive. So what are you waiting for? Get some fish oil.