Wednesday, July 16, 2008

5 Randoms

1. If you move well you most likely won't have pain or injury, and if you don't have pain or injury then you'll be more likely to move well.

2. One thing I really like to watch is how 2 and 3 year olds walk; very minimal force impact at heel strike (they basically just lay the foot flat on the ground each step), smooth rolling of the hips, completely relaxed arm swing, etc.

3. In many athletic movements (key: well performed athletic movements), the hamstrings and rectus femoris perform more as isometric muscles, allowing the tendons of these muscles to create and transfer force.

4. This is a huge problem and it affects EVERYONE.

5. Movement is improved through motor learning. The key is focus and specific control. I can't learn something without focus (motor LEARNING), and I can't use something if I can't control it (motor CONTROL). Motor learning takes focus and practice. If the correct movement is performed, the muscles will do their job.

AS

8 comments:

FRANKIE FAIRES said...

Aaron,

Don't you think that learning is often unconscious...including motor learning?

Aaron Schwenzfeier said...

Frankie,

For everyone, almost everything we do is done unconsciously, so I guess most of our motor learning could be said to be unconscious. Most learning in general comes from experiences and "just happens"...

Does true learning, or better yet, understanding, happen unconciously? I would say no. I would argue focus is a key part. Also, being emotionally engaged plays a large role in learning.

Thoughts? Love to hear your insights?

Thanks for dropping by.

Aaron

FRANKIE FAIRES said...

I believe it is canon to say that focus and emotional engagement improves memory (which is a component of intelligence). I think this can be fairly characterized as increased central neural drive.

Here is some non-canon...
Being a devotee of effortless efficient effectiveness, I don't want to use any more focus or emotional engagement necessary to learn.

If I am already learning unconsciously, I want my system to only alert me if I am learning the wrong thing on the right thing in the wrong way (Jacked directly from Marty).

We are all aware when we are ineffective. I believe we should train so that we also become aware of effort and inefficiency. Like the triathlete, how we train should dictate what we train.

Aaron Schwenzfeier said...

Very well stated Frankie, some great points.

I think focus could even be replaced with a sense of purpose.

I think many peoples systems have begun to fail with alerting them only when they are wrong (pain neuromatrix/stress response).

I absolutely agree on the efficiency. Learning skills with as little effort as possible; and when this is done and brought into competition, there is a huge "reserve of effort" to be used in times of need, or if not, a decrease in the expenditure needed for recovery...

Efficiency across all areas.

Thoughts?

FRANKIE FAIRES said...

I agree.

I have a book that Mike is working on with me that I think better codifies my approach. I write it philosophically - in layman's terms - but Mike provides the scientific backbone.

I look forward to your feedback.

Aaron Schwenzfeier said...

Very cool. I look forward to seeing the book.

Jim Ryan aka AikiBudo said...

Hi Aaron,
Re: #4, it just occurred to me one possible(acceptable) explanation for early teen sluggishness is threat response - their bodies are changing so much they instinctively know they need to cool it so as not to injure themselves - conversely, look at the often severe injuries sustained by that same age group - ignoring the threat (startle) response?

Aaron Schwenzfeier said...

Very interesting thoughts Jim. You could be on to something...

Thanks for dropping by my blog, it was a great time hanging out this past weekend at I-phase.