Thursday, May 28, 2009

Stress Eraser

I've been coordinating with a psychologist at counseling center here and I just got the soccer athletes that are in town for the summer hooked up with their own personal StressErasers.

Basically they are a biofeedback device used to determine breathing and heart rate and monitoring the balance of the autonomic nervous system. I believe it can be a very powerful tool to develop the skills to maintaining and/or creating an increased parasympathetic tone. Breathing techniques by way of the respiratory sinus arrythmia can be very effective at improving ANS function.

We've advised the ladies to practice with them at least 3-4 times per day for around 10 minutes, if not more often. We'll be collecting some rough data. I hope to get more athletes hooked up with them in the near future.

Move.
AS

2 comments:

L. Wu said...

I've been using the emWave PSR -- http://www.emwave.com/ -- which also seems to rely on HRV (heart rate variability), and have found it useful in my training, practice, and even during a long competition weekend.

Aaron Schwenzfeier said...

Yeah, HeartMath has some very good information.

I don't have experience with the emWave but my guess is they are very similar.

Agreed, very useful tool and I think will continue to become much more common...