Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Inquiry of the status quo

This past month I was fortunate enough to be asked to present at two different local conferences. Below is one of the presentations I gave, taking a critical look at some of the more popular methods, systems, and claims on the current landscape. Basically, the presentation was loaded with questions I have, and hoped to convey to the audience. I don't have a vendetta for anyone or anything, just a desire for free thinking and reality.

Throughout the presentation I was adamantly clear when I was interjecting my opinion, and was certain to not leave anything 'off the table'; myself and my philosophy of training too. The summation of my message was how I try to exercise logic and reason.

Maybe certain movement screens, corrective exercises, prehabilitation, dietary recommendations, methods, and systems really are flawless and are the panacea (I doubt it). But if I am never asking any tough questions, and just turning a blind eye, I would say I am awfully credulous, and would likely be struggling to navigate my way... compass-less.



Please post any questions in the comments below. I also have a list of references that went with this presentation that I would be more than happy to share.

AS

5 comments:

David Burton said...

Obviously, without audio it's hard to know your opinion on every slide. Can you add you commentary to a few slides for me:

Slide 56 - what are they doing to get the PRs?

Slide 33/34 - what's your viewpoint here?

Slide 27 - any use for swiss balls?

Slide 8 -- who said this? What type of plyos are they advocating? What about Olympics and Plyos together?

Slides 62/63 -- anything

Slide 65 - what is your opinion here?

Slide 69/70 - fill in please.

Slide 74 - AWESOME!

Aaron Schwenzfeier said...

Slide 8: http://aaronschwenzfeier.blogspot.com/2012/11/charlatan-nonsense.html

Slide 27: I don't (or rarely) have any use for the swiss balls. The research depends on which question is asked.

Slide 33/34: I am more middle of the road. I prefer exercises done on the feet, but if I do directed torso work in a horizontal position, I use a combination of stability and movement.

Slide 56: We (7 of the veteran players/greater training age) squatted to a 1RM three days per week. I had them score how their body felt throughout... no problems, and lots of PR's. We also tested for PR's in jumps, sprints, and agility... so I wasn't only concerned with back squat max. More that, the point was that we lifted heavy and did not get injured.

Slide 62/63: http://aaronschwenzfeier.blogspot.com/2012/11/a-break-from-breakfast.html

Slide 65: I side more with loads that keep an athlete within 10% speed, but better yet I like using zero external loads. The athletes I work with mostly need to work on the skill of accelerating/sprinting.

Slide 69: Just being skeptical of different forms of resistance. As I said, nothing was left off the table. Asking the question of "what does the research say?", "what do the experts say?", "who's using what, and what are the results they are getting?"

Let me know if I can help clarify anything else, or any other questions. Thanks for asking David.

Josh Leeger said...

I want the audio!

Building Better Athletes said...

Great Job Aaron! Couple questions.

What do you do for assessments or screens. I know you've stated each workout is screen, but do you do anything else?

Do you foam roll or "activate" or think there is a place for this. Or is it too much training muscles or movements?

Could you briefly touch upon your thoughts on S/L training?

Thanks Aaron! Awesome work!

Aaron Schwenzfeier said...

I use jump and landing tests. I also use sprint tests.

Foam roll only after the workout (optional).

I guess you might call some of the remedial exercises we do in the warm-up "activation exercises"; mini-band walks, table tops (a hip bridge or crab walk position movement).

S/L training? Single-leg? I like a blend. For most lower body workouts, I use a 2 leg movement and a 1 leg movement. 2 legs for maximal strength, 1 leg for balance, range-of-motion, general strengthening of medial and lateral leg muscles. Nothing unusually heavy for the single-leg stuff because of the demands on the hip flexors, adductors, pelvic/low back muscles.

Thank you for the comments and questions!